Thursday, November 20, 2008

Day 282

What a crazy mess this is turning into.

Last month I had the ear infection in my left ear. It was painful as hell and I called Hershey on a Friday to ask what I should do. My doctor was out for the weekend and I was told by the attending doctor to go to my local ER have it checked....she didn't want me waiting the weekend out with the infection without having it looked at and treated.

So off we went to our ER. I hate the Hospital here (bunch of quacks) , but hey it was just an ear ache.

At the ER we told them about the Hep C and all the drugs I'm on. We also told them over and over again to get a copy of their report to Hershey.

They checked me out, did a CAT scan, gave me an IV antibiotic and sent me home with scripts for ear drops and an antibiotic called Augmentin 875 mg.

3 weeks later I have an ear infection in my right ear now. I called my research nurse at Hershey and she said that the Hospital here never sent a report. They asked what it is that the hospital put me on and I told her.

After she spoke to the Doctor she called back.

I should Never have been prescribed Augmentin! According to her, and now that I've looked it up on the net, Augmentin is the very worst antibiotic to give someone with Hepititus!

They don't want me going back to the hospital here. I have an appointment this morning with my family doctor. He needs to look into my ear to verify that it's an infection and I'm to tell him that if it is he needs to prescribe Keflex for it.

They also want me to stop the interferon and Ribavirin and I have to go to Hershey on Monday. They want to run blood work to check me out partly because of the infections and partly because of the Augmentin.

In the mean time I called the Hospital telling them that have got to fax the report from the ER visit to Hershey immediatly! The lady (using the phrase lady lightly) in the records department said she didn't get a HIPA release form from the ER to send it.

I told her I signed one and I asked them to make sure they sent it. She said "Well I didn't get it from the ER and I'll have to send one to you in the mail and you can mail it back".

I said no! I don't have time for that, Hershey needs it right now! Fax the form to me and I'll fax it back.

She say's I'll fax it to you but you can't fax it back.

Now I'm pissed!

Fax it and I'll bring it back to the hospital myself. So she say's "if you do that I'll have to have a photo id or drivers license from you!"

OMG! Fine! I have a License! I'll be there tomorrow!

This Hospital screws up and now I have to fight to get my records!

I'll go to my Doctor this morning and on the way back I'll stop at the hospital to drop off the form. If my records are not faxed to hershey by the end of the day I'll go back to the hospital tomorrow and I'll demand to see the Head Administrator or I'll cause a ruckuss big enough to make the news paper!

I don't think this Hospital has ever seen full fledged Riba-Rage before.

So that's my day....

My ear hurts, I'm sick to my stomach and the Hazleton General Hospital is full of a bunch of quacks!!!!!!!!!

Hope your day is better than mine!

12 comments:

Dorene said...

Laurei I am so sorry to hear that you now have another infection.
I am going to my doctor today I have an ear ache and a bad sore throat, I thought it was the medication but now I think I am sick. I am so sorry that they put you on augmentin and so sorry that they could not handle sending your records to Hershey, it feels like an up hill battle just to get medical care, can't imagine what you would have to do to get good medical care.
I hope you get better soon
Lots of hugs and good thoughs coming your way
D

Terry Lee said...

You´re at the point in tx where I had to avoid driving by gun stores!

SR said...

Honey first all you do need to give them hell and tell them and the adminstraters bosses to get it right !they are messing with time and your life. My Doctor last week told me that if I din't have procrit then to definitly give myself my interferone injection. She was very stern with me about that. I send you healing and hugs ,theres always a candle lit as well.
Brightest Blessings .

My Other Blog said...

Oh crap...but you don't want to mess around with an ear infection and end up like me - partially deaf and with tinnitus.
I hope the Keflex works for you.

Rosie said...

Sorry to hear about your troubles Laurie. The last 2 months of tx for me I had the feeling of fluid in my ears and still do 2 months after tx. They say there is no infection but that I have developed sinus problems. I never had that before.I wonder what was in those trial drugs anyways!? Well stand your ground with the hospital but you really will get further with them if you try to be somewhat calm..but still firm and listen to Terry and stay away from the gun store LOL. This will all be over soon and you WILL be healthy again. Take Care Rosie

~sharon said...

Hi Laurie, I sure hope things work out for you with your ear and the records. It really is annoying (understatement) to have people create unnecessary stress... and the ribavirin really makes it hard to handle!! I know the rage I feel is so overwhelming and stronger than anything I have ever felt before. I have often thought people should not mess with a woman on ribavirin!! LOL

I have an appt at Hershey on the 1st, Sandy said that was your day too and I thought maybe we could have lunch... are you still going to be going on the 1st since you have to go on Monday? Are they stopping the peg and riba temporarily or all together?

{{{{{{{Laurie}}}}}}} take care of yourself ... I'll be praying it all works out for the best :-)

~sharon

Laurie said...

Oh I love all of you! Thank you for your support!

Dorene, Don't play around with an infection...they get really bad really fast! A vaporisor in your house might help your sinus'....it's really helped me through a lot of this.

Just doesn't help my ears. It sucks....I never had ear infections before!

Take care my friend!

((Hugs))
Laurie

Laurie said...

LOL Terry!

Right about now it would be very good for all ignorant people to stay away from me.....but somehow I seem to be attracting them!

No gun stores or sharp objects within reach for me!

Really though....I don't think I'm too terrible so long as I don't have to deal with bullshit!

((Hugs))
Love
Laurie

Laurie said...

Sean,
You are wonderful. Thank you.

They've stopped the interferon and ribavirin on me for right now because they feel as though my body is just to bombarded with drugs that it's causing infections. With 2 infections back to back and the fact that the Hospital gave me a drug for 10 days that I should never have been taking....they want to hold my tx drugs to give my body a chance to recover a little. They still have me on the Nuepogen and Procrit though. They'll probably be sticking me back on everything next week after my bloodwork comes back.
They've done this before and remained undectable.

I don't really like it because I'm so close to the end...but I agree with them that my body needs a chance to rebound a little.

Take care my friend...

Brightest Blessings back to you

((Hugs))
Love
Laurie

Laurie said...

Iris,
Yes.....Tinnitus. I've had that throughout tx...but they've said it'll go away after I'm off of the drugs.
It's a terrible sound!
I'm sorry that you have it permently.
Hopefully the infections go away and leave me without the ringing when this is all over with.
I think we caught it early enough this time.
My fingers are crossed....especially since the weekend is now here.

((Hugs))
Love
Laurie

Laurie said...

Rosie,
Try using a vaporizer when you sleep.

The drugs dehydrate so many things.

I even have saline nasel spray that I use during the day when my sinus' feel dry.

You have to try to keep them moist or you open the door to infection.

You're probably still detoxing.

Take it easy my friend!

((Hugs))
Love
Laurie

Laurie said...

Sharon,

Riba-Rage feels like PMS x 10 doesn't it!

But sometimes, every once and a while it comes in handy.

I got my records! lol

Hershey is going to use Monday as my appt. instead of Dec. 1st.

Shoot! Lunch would have been so nice!

Have your appt.s moved to Mondays now? Mine are always on Mondays. Maybe we'll wind up on the same day again in the future.

Let me know and we'll get together!

((Hugs))
Laurie