Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Lucy I'm Home!

It was a beautiful day for a ride.

All and all it was a pretty good day. Lots of info. Consent forms to sign. Lots of checking this and that and LOTS of blood drawn.

I'm kind of glad that they weighed me before they took my blood because by the time that they filled all of those vials I think I had to weigh about 2 lbs. lighter :-) As it is I lost 9 lbs. in the past month. Keeping my weight is a challenge that I'm going to have to work harder on.

I do have a better grasp on the treatment time line and a better understanding of what is to come.

Today was a day of screening. In about 2 weeks, as soon as my blood work comes back, I go for the Liver biopsy. After about another week I go back to start treatment.


That is if, of course, the blood work and liver biopsy come back as planned and I am put into this study.(which I would say at this point my chances are very good.)

The trial drug is RO4588161. It's describe like this:

"HCV polymerase is an enzyme necessary for the hepatitus C virus to make copies of itself. There are currently no approved HCV polymerase inhibitors but there are simular types of drugs used in treating Hepatitus B virus and HIV. RO1048297 is a strong inhibitor of the polymerase enzyme. The study drug RO4588161(which I'll be taking) is the prodrug of RO1048297 which means, RO4588161 rapidly converts to RO1048297 inside the body." say's the paper that I have in my hand right now from my Doctors visit.

If you're anything like me, you'd convert all of that to say "Bla Bla Bla Bla". Because thats the way it sounded in my head. Except for the "Oh...Ok...I can follow that! I don't know what the hell it means.....but alrighty then". lol

Sandy, who is a pretty cool nurse and who I enjoyed having as a teacher today, put it like this: There are pretty much 2 kinds of drugs being worked on right now through research. One is a drug that will go into the viral cell and try to attack it from within. The second is a drug that attaches itself to the outer shell of the viral cell. It then tries to attack the shell to expose the cell, causing the cell to die.

This Prodrug is the later of the 2.

Now this I understand without the bla bla bla -

We're going to try to skin the dragon. :~}

This is a Phase II trial that will include approximately 490 people internationally with Geno type 1.

There have been about 130 people given this drug in a previous research study(s). (Which, by the way, sort of surpised the hell out of me. LOL....I don't really know why it surprised me, but it did.).....Anyway, this is the 6th clinical study with this drug. I assume that with only 130 before me and it being called a phaes II drug, that only 1 study was administered to Humans.

The most commonly seen side effects where:

*Flu-like symptoms such as fever, chills, muscle aches, body weakness, joint pain and headaches

*Upset stomache (nausea, diarrhea and vomiting)

*Decrease in white blood cells, red blood cells and platelets

*Insomnia

*irritability (oh boy!!)

*infections

*rash

Now lets combine that with the side effects of the Pegasys and Copegus side effects:

*Flu like symptoms (same as above)

*Extreme Fatigue (got that....gonna get worse..ok.)

*Upset stomach (same as above)

*Blood sugar problems

*Skin reactions such as rash, dry skin or itchy skin, redness and swelling at the sight of injection.

*Hair loss (I just really hope I don't loos my eyebrows....It freaks me out the way people look without eye brows!lol)

*Decreased appetite, weight loss (Oh Boy Here We Go! That Sucks!)

*Coughing (I should really think about stopping smoking.....naw, not right now. I have one nerve left and my quiting smoking right now would be a health risk to the general public)

*Dizziness

*Trouble sleeping

*Pain, Back pain

*Laryngitis, sore throat (Jimmy would love this side effect as long as it comes at the same time as the irratibility!)

*Increased Liver Function

*Loss of concentration, confusion. (Brain fog right?)

Possible serious side effects:

*Mental Health problems including irritability, depression, anxiety, aggressive behaviour, suicidal behaviour and homicidal thoughts. (Oh boy! Look out old ladies driving slow in the passing lane!)

*Blood problems - drop in cell counts (same as above)

* Infections

*Lung problems - pneumonia

*Eye problems-Blurred or loss of vision

*Autoimmune problems (Oh boy! Now I'm gonna have car trouble?!......lol...no I know what that means!)

*Macular degeneration (Optic nerve stuff right?)

* Development of an unusual rash - Stevens-Johnson syndrome (huh?lol.. I got a flash of myself covered in diaper rash ointment.)

The majority of this list of symptoms are contected to the standard treatment and not the study drug. The sypmtoms for the study drug are actually only the first 7 symptoms listed. (see I think that's what bothered me about the 130 people before me....they just don't know what all of the side effects are yet) What the hell....I might as well go for the gusto!

There are 7 arms of the study. It's a double blinded study with 6 groups recieving various dosages of the study drug along with various dosages of Pegasys and Copegus. 1 group will recieve a placebo with Pegasys and Copegus.

6 of the groups (5 recieving the study drug and the 1 group recieving the placebo) will ungo 24 weeks of the drug, pegasys and Copegus and then Pegasys and Copegus alone for an additional 24 weeks. 48 weeks total treatment.

In the 7th group they'll recieve the drug, Pegasys and Copegus but those who have no virus by week 4 and continue to have no virus until week 22 will stop all medication at week 24.

After the first 12 weeks anyone in any treatment group that is less effective compared to the standard of care arm will be offered re-treatment with a full 48-week course of treatment with the currently approved standard of care therapy in a seperate protocol. (I take this as if you fail to clear it and you were not on the full dosages of Pegasys and Copegus you'll be retreated with the full course. But what I don't yet understand, and I will ask is - If it's a double blinded study how does the research team know that you where given a less than standard treatment?)

So....here's the plan man. :-)

My blood work will come back within the next 2 weeks. If that went well I'll be scheduled for my biopsy right away. After the biopsy, assuming that that goes well also(no cancer or other problem causing liver damage), I'll be scheduled to have a visit with Sandy who will teach me how to inject myself and how to take the drugs.

And a new path in this little lourney of mine will begin.

Oh, and from today's date they have 35 days to get that first injection into me. The study Protocal says that after the 35 days they would have to start all over again with blood work, EKG, etc. They don,t want to do that.

After I start, I go for blood work once a week for the first four weeks. Then I go once on the 6th and the 8th week. Then the 12th, 18th, 22nd and 24th week. After that I guess we see what happens.

Oh yeah....if I'm in the unlucky part of the 7th group who did not clear the virus by the 4th through the 22nd week, I'll be on the study drug with pegasys and Copegus for week 25 through 48.

So thats it I think.

I've searched the net but I can't really find anything on it. If anyone finds anything please let me know.

All in all I think I'm ok. A little scared and concerned maybe. I'm trying to keep it all in perspective. Trying to constantly remind myself that just because they list side effects, it doesn't mean I'll have all of them....maybe I'll just have a few easy ones....maybe I'll have none. (boy I pray)

Sort of excited too...just to get this over with and get back to "normal" life again. I know what I have to do, so I pretty much want to get started doing it.

To end this post on the lighter side...A life insurance salesman stopped by tonight to present life insurance quotes for us. Believe it or not my premium was way cheaper than Jimmy's! He's healthy as hell and I didn't hide anything from the insurance salesman. PLUS I smoke! Go figure.

lol....it's good to be 8 years younger!

11 comments:

My Other Blog said...

I hope you get into a good arm of the study that offers you the best chance of 'skinning the dragon.' I don't know what arm that is/will be. I think at some point they 'unblind' (you did say this was a double blind study, didn't you) you and the researchers/treatment team - maybe at week 12? - then you all know if you're on the study drug or not. Well, this is so exciting. In 5 weeks you'll be doing something instead of waiting, you're actually doing something now, just by having the tests!

Laurie said...

It feels much better than waiting :-)

I will find out eventually what arm I of the study I was under. But I won't find that out until the study is complete and all of the data has been compiled and processed. Meaning that it could take up a year to two years after the study ends. None of us will know until after I am well over treatment.

The only way that the blind is broken is if there is a medical emergency or medical condition requiring the arm to be revealed. Hopefully that doesn't happen because I will then be out of the Study.
I guess that any of the arms, even the placebo, would be good to be in. Although I'd like it to be the arm with the biggest punching ability able to do the best battle.
My biggest fear right now is the thought of there being a chance of the virus mutating. Then all bets are off and virus has won. I know my body well....it will fight like hell.
Thanks Iris!

Have I told you that you are an awesome support?

You are...and an awesome friend.

Lot of hugs.
Laurie

MandaRising said...

You are definately someone to look up too and admire! One of the strongest people I know.
I love ya!

Laurie said...

I Love you too sweetheart ;-)

Thank you

Rosie said...

Hello,
I too am getting ready to start the same study. I am nervous to do it and part of me wonders if I should. I have had Hep C for 33 yrs. just found out a year ago. I know I have had it that long because I passed it to my child at birth. They found out about it 8 yrs ago but I never thought he got it from me. Maybe I didn't want to know that? My child is 33 yrs old and on a liver transplant list. The treatment did not work. I am hoping by doing this study they may have a chance to find something that works for everyone who suffers from hep c. I too am nervous. I still have a lot of question. I hope and can get the answers I need. Best of luck to you...I will think of you along my journey.
Rosie

Laurie said...

Rosie,
I.m so sorry to hear about your child! That must be a horrible feeling for you....but 33 years ago you couldn't have known. Actually I don't think could have known as the testing for Hep C wasn't available until after the early 90's. And still I know that must not be a whole lot of relief from what your feeling.

My Heart goes out to you.

Keep in touch Rosie. We can help each other through this. The one thing that I have learned here is that there is unmeasureable support from so many corners of world within in net. The friends that I have met here have already deeply touched my life. Already I don't know what I would do without them and I haven't even started yet.

If you don't want to start a blog (which by the way is very therapudic) then try emailing me. My email address is on my profile.

Maybe we can answer some of those questions together.

Take care Rosie.

Laurie said...

By the way Rosie, here are alot of awesome sites that are filled with loads of info just in case you haven't run across them already:

http://hepcukforum.org
(U.K. Hep C Forum)

and

http://hepcassoc.org
(Hep C Assoc.- Voices)

There's also the most amazing friends that you could find listed under "Hero's" on my blog.

pixie said...

Way to go Laurie first shot down...I have been reading up about the study your in and it sounds good..at least the Studies your monitered reg.....

Try not to worry Rosie, I have just done 48 weeks and cleared the virus its a day at the time for you don`t look to far ahead....

Perhaps Laurie could head you towards the Nomads hepc site...You would be more than welcome....

Good Luck girls....PXX

Emilio44 said...

Hey Laurie,

I'm Emilio from Australia and I'm on this trial shot 4 down and feeling okay. I haven't recieved any viral load results as yet but expecting week 1&2 this Friday. I am communicating with others who are also on the trial at medhelp. I have been trying to sign in to discuss with you but have had no luck to date. Hope this works. Emi

Emilio44 said...

Some of the results that I know of so far are: baseline to week 1 VL drops: 4,000,000 to 350, 330,000 to 18, 3,020,000 to 277,000 and 1,650,000 to 300,000. Not bad drops. Some have had dose reductions due to wbc, neut, plate and anc drops. Others are okay and mine are steady. Talk soon. Emi

Unknown said...

I hope you are doing okay. I myself am on day 134 of this study. At week 12 Myself and one other from the group had our Meds unblinded due to Pancytopenia which weirdly did not happen until week 12 and was and is still pretty severe. Hct at 20.5 and Fighting one infection after the other. Rashes of every imaginable kind and fatigue that can not be explained. It has been a living nightmare. However, short of death I will continue. Now for the good news.
I started this study with a viral load of 20,000,000. yes 20. I evidently received the large doses. at week 2 viral load to 4,000,000. week 3 4,000 and week 4 through the present I have a negative viral load.
Yes, from 20 million to virus free in 4 weeks. No matter what side effects I have had or will see in the next six months. I will continue. I hope others will also.