Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Just call me "The Lady In Waiting"!

I couldn't stand it! I hate waiting! Drives me nuts!

So I called Hershey and I spoke to Sandy the Research Nurse.

After explaining to her that I might not have had reception on my cell and I worried that I had missed her call (which was a fib). She said "No, you didn't miss my call". But she did say that Dr. Smith had told her about me and that it was good that I called because now she knows that I really am interested in the study.

She'll be making the appointments for the research over the next week to 2 weeks. ugh! More waiting!

She did answer a couple of questions. She called this the "Naive Trial". I'm not exactly sure why it's called that....I'll have to ask when I go there.

I still don't know what the drug code number is other than it starts with an "R". Sandy didn't have it in front of her while we where on the phone. It is a polymerase inhibitor and this is a Phase II trial study.

The trial is 24 weeks of this drug along with Interferon and Ribavirin, then 24 weeks of Interferon and Ribavirin alone.

The trial has 8 arms and it's double blinded, meaning that none us will know which arm of the trial I'm in. It is possible that I end up with the sugar pill! lol

I still have so many questions, but I guess they'll have to wait for Sandy to call with my appointment. At least she seems very nice!

As for me? Hey...well...you know me...Waiting is my middle name!







5 comments:

My Other Blog said...

"Treatment naive" means you never did any type of HCV interferon treatment before. I'm glad to hear this is a Phase II trial - Phase I means 'you're in the first batch of humans to take this stuff,' Phase II means other people have taken it before - the people in the Phase I study.
The cell phone reception excuse is always a good one.

Terry Lee said...

It took me 10 months to get on treatment. The waiting was horrible.

Laurie said...

Well then...10 months it probably is then because I found about the Hep C on March 28,2007.
If I start in Jan. then 10 months it will be.

10 Months Sucks :(

PSPam said...

Hi Laurie. I am excited to find someone that is going to be taking the polymerase inhibitor (or at least maybe :-) Please blog about anything and everything you are experiencing as many of us out here want to know MORE about the polymerase inhibitors and blog anything that you hear about in the study. VX-950 is the protease inhibitor and is in phase 3 and most of us are very aware of results from it. I have heard good things from a hepatologist about the polymerase inhibitors. Good luck it and I hope you clear the first time through!

Peace

Laurie said...

Thanks Pam!

I'll keep you posted! or at least I'll try :-)