Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Day 294

I spoke to my study nurse yesterday and she has my CD4 count back but hasn't spoken to my doctor yet. She has to get the orders from her before she can pass them on to me.

The good news is that she was able to tell me is that my CD4 cells have come back just barley over 200. They're still holding their own.

We're waiting to hear from the Doctor that I'll be restarting the Peg. probably on Friday.

In the mean time I have an appointment with my family physician this morning to look at the abscess on the back of my head. Damn thing.

I don't know if the abscesses will have a bearing on what my Doctor decides.....I guess I find out today.

Waking up this morning is a little ruff again. I can tell that I've restarted the Ribavirin. My energy level has fallen back down to a slower pace. It feels pretty much like yesterday morning...waking up was slow but after a while I started feeling better. I'm sure that today will be more of the same.

So thats it for now. That's all that I know.

I wonder what little dramas today will bring.........

7:15 am
lol, not 10 minutes after publishing this post I got a call from my family doctors office. He's off sick today and can't see patients! What Luck I have!
There is a Doctor that's covering him but I don't like her at all.....he said that I could go to the ER here to have it checked out, but I don't ever plan to step foot back in that place again.
I'll talk to Sandy today and see what she says.
It's never ending isn't it!

7 comments:

Dorene said...

Hi Laurie, I know how you feel, there are days if I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any. I hope you feel better
D
Oh my trial coordinator told me that there are many people who's lymphocytes have not come back up as they hoped so there are many people being pulled from treatment they started in October. I hope you aren't one of them.

My Other Blog said...

You're in my thoughts all of the time. You'd think Roche would have discovered this little lymphocyte problem during the Phase 1 trial!

Dorene said...

Dear Laurie, I know how hard it was for me to stop the Riba last week and then not take my shot Friday however it has been explained to me that they want to kill the virus without killing the patient. I once again would like to thank you for all of your support during this trial. You have been my life line through this, you and my husband have been the two people who helped get me through. While I am disappointed that I need to stop I also don't want to "cut off my nose to spite my face" I am praying for you. Have you tried a warm compress to help bring this abscess/boil to a head? Just a thought I am not a dr, I had a boil and they told me to use Ichthammol Ointment, it draws the poison out, it can't be used on an open wound however good for boils and abscesses.
I am praying for you
Lots of good thoughts coming your way
Dorene

Laurie said...

Dorene,
At Hershey they pulled the first patient off of tx at week 10 or 11 back when the trial drug was ordered to be stopped at week 12.

Now a lot of the people who had their Lymphocytes coming back low, way back then, are being pulled because the additional 25-35 weeks of tx have played a toll on their already low counts. They're pulling a lot more people because of it. The trial drug played it's toll in the beginning and Inerferon has been finishing it off.

Don't be disappointed about stopping. You've more than likely cleared the virus and are done. Now you can get on with healing yourself from all of these drugs.

Just think :) It's time for you to return to real life!

Thank you for the hot compress idea. As soon as I read that I could remember that my Mother would do that very same thing.

I'm going to try it.

((Hugs))
Love
Laurie

Laurie said...

Iris,
That's a good question. I suppose that since they only had 135 people world wide on this drug in Phase 1 and that the dosages where much lower, they didn't get to see the full effect of what this drug can do.

That's my guess anyway.

I also believe that since I cleared before week 2, They must be on the right track. They just have to find a way to control this drug better.

I really wish it would have worked out. It's sad that it didn't.

One day they'll have a drug that reduces tx to a few weeks. Or at least that's what I pray for. 48 weeks is just too long.

Thank you Iris for thinking about me. Your friendship has come to mean so much to me. You've been holding my hand for more than a year now.

You are Beautiful.

((Hugs))
Love
Laurie

Dorene said...

I may be wrong but wasn't the first trial much shorter?
I sure wish they had known, I am getting worried, all these months off the trial and my lymphocytes and CD$/CD are way too low.
Thinking of you

Laurie said...

Dorene,

You might be right. I just can't find any info on how long the Phase 1 study was for. The only info that I can find on it is whats in our Consent for Research forms.

There doesn't seem to be anything published about it on the net. But I guess that may be because it was such a small study and was only a Phase 1 trial.