Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Day 188

O.M.G. How much longer do we have to do this?

The fatigue is sometimes unbearable. It's only grown worse since last week. I'm hoping that I snap out of it today.

They told me that the fatigue will get worst on the second half of tx ....but I really didn't believe them. I guess now I'm starting to.

What do we have, 4 more months of this?

I try not to think about it. I've been fighting the depression of all of it. I try not to look forward and I try not to look in the mirror too much.

The mirror....well I guess I'll have to soon figure out what to wear on my head. I'm hoping that I can hold out until fall or winter so that I won't look so out of place wearing a hat or scarf.

My lovely 15 year old told me over the weekend "Mom if you and Jimmy wear the same kind of clothes you'll look like twins from the back!" I hadn't realized how bald I was getting until he cracked that joke. I sort of yelled at him for saying such a thing....but then he looked at me and said "Well I'd rather joke about it ....what else can you do?" He meant no harm. Poor kid just doesn't know what to think or say.

I spent the evening the other night with my hair drenched in Lubiderm body moisturizer. I couldn't stand the dry itchy scalp any longer and I figured that something had to help. After sitting with it for a couple of hours in my hair I rinsed my hair out with cold water. Man did that feel good! It did help my scalp. Didn't help the hair falling out though.

My hair continues to fall out by the hand fulls. I thought this would slow down by now. I was going to get it cut and styled but now there is so little of it that if I cut it the bald spot will surely show. I thought about a wig, but then it would just look as though I'm wearing a wig. Even if it was a really good wig, my mind would still say "you're wearing a wig!". I'm leaning more towards a scarf or something like that. I can't say that I ever liked the way I looked in them....but hey I don't like the way I look right now either.

For now I can wear the little bit of hair that I have up and sort of cover the bald areas. I'm sure you could tell......but hey it is what it is.

I must be feeling somewhat better....I just typed a whole bunch of stuff huh? lol

Gotta get ready for work. Hope this day brings less to no fatigue. I hope this day is better.....

Enjoy your Tuesday everyone.

2 comments:

Rosie said...

Wow look at all that energy you had to type today. You must be getting better!
I bet the itching scalp is adding to the hair loss as you are probally pulling it out as you scratch. Try olive oil on your head, you can even warm it slightly.Are you still taking the benedrayl?
What about the AD's did you start them up again?
I hadn't heard or don't remember that the 2nd half is more tiring than the first. Bummer! Maybe it is just we run out of strenghth to force ourselves to move. I better stock up on good books. I have cut my work week down to 3 1/2 to 4 days and some of them are short days. I just don't want to sit and do nothing but I like you am just tired. There is so much computer work that can be done from home on the computer so that is my backup instead of getting all dressed and driving to work I find it takes me 2 hrs to get moving in the morning. Any slower and I will be moving backward.
You know Laurie when I feel like you have been this week my nurse has my blood checked weekly to be sure the counts are ok.
Sorry you are having a hard time again today.
Take Care Rosie

Laurie said...

Rosie,

Olive oil! Good idea! I think I'll try that this weekend.

I'm still trying the benedrayl at night to help me sleep. It does help me sleep a little sounder for the first few hours.

AD's....no, I just can't stand them. They seem to be even more sides that I don't want right now. I actually feel better struggling through depression expecially since it only gets bad when I feel the worst. I know I'll feel better so I work through it.

I try not to scratch my scalp just because I know it'll do more damage to my hair. There's just no stopping it from falling out. I even try not to wash it but once a week. It seems as though the Peg. yelled abandon ship and it listened! lol

My counts have been running an acceptable low. This I'm affraid is just the fatigue from the Interferon and Ribavirin.

Life on tx....ain't it somethin' !

Take care my friend.

((Hugs))
Laurie