Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Day 58

Well we're home. Made it back at around 12:30 am. Just in case anyone is making flight reservations....Do Not Fly Delta! They Suck!

We usually fly US Air or United and they can be bad enough, but when your gate is changed, your flight is delay for no real apparent reason other than Delta doesn't have enough personnel working at the airport to handle the work load and then you have to sit on the plane at the gate for an additional hour because a maintenance crew has to duck tape and wire tie rig a seat on the air plane (that no one is sitting in)...I'd say Delta is at the bottom of my list for worst airlines to fly on!

Anyway, we made it home and on a quick check of our suit cases it looks like my torch and glass rods made the flight in one piece!

Woke up this morning and grabbed a cup of coffee. This will be the hard part of my vacation....going to work with a lack of sleep and a little jet lag. I should of taken today off too but I have to go to Hershey tomorrow and I have too much work to get done for the week.

I also have my Procrit and Nuepogen being delivered at work today....so I pretty much have to be there.

Waking up this morning is very ruff. I hope the coffee kicks in without hitting my stomach too hard.

My cats are going nuts about us being home! the little one won't stop poking and nudging me and the other 2 follow me where ever I go. I missed my boys.

If I can get some sleep tonight I'll find time to post the pics from our trip tomorrow morning.

No Ducky around today. Maybe tomorrow.

6 comments:

MandaRising said...

Can't wait to see your new do! I'm so glad that you guys were able to get away for a bit. That's exactly what you needed.
And you'll be glad to know that "the boys" missed you guys A LOT. When I came over to feed them and take care of the pooper (LOL!) Jack was curled up in your coat on the living room floor. LOL!

Dorene said...

Welcome back, can't wait to see your pictures. I was wondering about the procrit and the neupogen, what are they for? When I asked my doctor for anything that would raise my platelet level or give me more energy he said there wasn't anything approved
If you answered earlier I am sorry to ask again, my email is down right now
Thank you :)

Dorene

Laurie said...

Awe! I missed them too!

Thank you so much for kitty sitting...Amanda you're the Best!

:)

Love ya Kiddo!

Laurie said...

Dorene,
All I need is the energy to post the pictures now! lol In the morning maybe. :)

Neupogen is used to Stimulate/release the production of white blood cells in my bone marrow.

Procrit is used to stimulate Red Blood counts production.

Both Procrit and Nuepogen are injections. They're also incrediably expensive so you must have very good Ins. to cover the cost.

My Doctor originally told me that neither would be allowed during this trial, but after my Blood Counts dropped Dangerously and drastically low, Roche had a change of heart and put me on both.

It may be that they will only allow Procrit and Nuepogen for extreme cases.
My counts went to:
WBC .09
Haemoglobin 6.1
Platlets 14
These all dropped like a rock over about a 2 week period. I looked like I was dead and I really did feel much better! I was quarantined in my home away from people and not to be careful around any sharp objects due to my WBC and Platlet counts.

In my case I wound up not only having these drugs but I also had to have a blood transfusion. (Funny thing is that it's a blood transfusion that started this whole mess!)

Try taking Folic Acid. It does help a little. It's not a rescue drug but it does help. I take 800 mcg's a day now.

Even with the Rescue drugs I'm still fatigued and I ache. I get some good days, maybe 3 a week. But for the most part, even on "good" days fatigue still finds me to one degree or another...

How low are your counts? Maybe you can mention to him that Roche allowed "rescue" drugs for me and maybe he'll recheck because like I said in the beginning my Doctor said no.

Roche may have had a change in heart if enough of us have crashed.

Take Care! Go slow and conserve energy.

((Hugs))
Laurie

My Other Blog said...

Welcome home. The next time you go to Vegas, you'll party till dawn and do everything you couldn't do this time.
Dorene - there are no rescue drugs for platelets, the only thing they can do for platelets is give you a transfusion of packed platelets, and that only lasts a short time before it has to be repeated.
Neupogen raises your WBC and ANC.

Dorene said...

Thank you for the information, I guess I just have to have faith that my doctor won't let my numbers get too low.
I appreciate any and all advice. I am so tired and sick that I keep thinking, isn't there something to make me feel better?
Thank you