Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Biopsy - done

The liver Biopsy is done.

We got back kind of late last night and they put me to sleep with Demerol and something else that knocked me on my ass so by the time that we got home, typing was not on my list of things to do. lol....sleep was.

I feel groggy waking up this morning and other than a sore spot on my side it was no problem.

I'm not a big baby when it comes to pain...all 3 kids where born naturally and I've had a needle biopsy on an ovary (no meds...hurt like hell) and 2 on my breast and I've gone through heart surgery that they had to keep me painfully awake for. But I do have to tell you that if given the choice...I'd choose "knock me out" any time. She didn't give me a choice....She knocked me out.

The blood work shows everything's ok, accept my Alt levels are still high and now my protein levels are low. We're guessing that my protein levels are low because of the nausea that I get from the fatigue. I guess I'll have to try to find food that is higher in protein other than chicken and salads. I did try to eat a hamburger on the way back home last night...stupid big mistake...hamburgers are out.

As for the Alt levels...well we'll be dealing with that soon enough.

I know they did another viral count but it wasn't in my file last night. I'll have to get that report from the research nurse. I don't expect the count to be any lower then when they tested it the last time and I don't think Dr. Smith thinks it will be either.

As for the biopsy, Dr. Smith said that the sample looked like "a little inch worm" and it held together well. She said that when there is cirrhosis the sample usually breaks or falls apart easily. Mine didn't so that's a good sign.

We won't know anything more for 7 to 10 days. And then that's it....I start treatment.

I'm just around the corner from the start line.

She asked me yesterday if I was excited to get started. I told her "more like anxious" but I can imagine that she's excited. Waiting to start a new research must be a real highlight for her and her staff.

Oh and by the way, It's Tylenol for me and not Ibuprofen. Good job everybody!

As for AD's, she thinks I should wait until I need them. I kind of think that too.

I have to keep in mind that this is a study drug and that one of the biggest parts of this study is to evaluate the side effects. She didn't tell me that, but my own common sense does. I was on AD's only once in my life (not counting the Xanax that I have to take everyonce in a blue moon for stress). It was something like Lipator (sp?) and it didn't do anything except give me strange dreams.

I know I'll probably change my mind later down the road, but for now I just feel more comfortable with not taking anything more than I have to. I just really hate taking drugs.

So...for now all is well.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whew!!! I'm glad that's over! I wasn't knocked out for mine, but given some tranquilizer and I also felt no pain. You should try to eat more fish to get your protein, also cheese. This is all coming together. :<}

Laurie said...

Yes, it's all coming together.

and lol, I'm glad it's over too!

Cheese! I didn't think of cheese! I love cheese. :)

I like fish too.

I actually had peanut butter in mind but peanut butter isn't something that I'd really like to eat everyday.

Thanks U.C. you are awesome :)

Terry Lee said...

Come on in, the water's fine. I've been feeling really good lately, not sick at all. It comes and goes with me. The best part is that my brain isn't too fogged lately. Let us know when you start and the details of your ARM. Best T

magda said...

Great news abut the liver biopsy, at least one less thing to worry about. Now you can concentrate on your treatment and getting the dragon out of the system : ) Tell your hobby that if you ever get "psychotic" he can give us a call since we are so expirianced in this department , ha, ha. Anyway I am happy you are getting started!

Starwtich said...

Oh wow, you did it. Good job, it's behind you now. Great!
About AD's, I think you should wait until you are sure you can't be without them. But before that, just in case let your husband hide all sharp knives, baseball bats and anything what can be handy at riba rage concerto.
Cheers, beautiful girl